Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Investments with Eternal Returns

Every summer is the same conversation for my husband and I. We wrestle over the finances and ask ourselves again, "Can we afford a private Christian education for our kids next fall?"

This year was especially tough . . . we have other financial obligations, cars that are aging, dreams that are postponed and children that are growing - rapidly. Everything is costing more and it seems we never have any extra to get ahead. It is a familiar feeling among families - ours is no exception.

So, why do we make this sacrifice? Our tuition payment is almost as much as a second mortgage; at least as much as a car payment, maybe enough for a cabin on a lake. . . and definitely enough for a vacation fund! How many years to we let these pass us by so we can write that check out each month? Should we be investing it for retirement or college? Are we wasting years of memories and opportunities for our kids? What is the right decision?

I try to explain to friends and family that this decision doesn't come easily. After all, public school is FREE! Surely God doesn't want us to carry debt. Surely he cares about the safety of our cars and our retirement. Are we being irresponsible? We wonder ourselves sometimes whether it's"worth" it. The decision is an annual journey of pros, cons and prayer.

But this is where we return every time: Public Schools have failed our family. My husband and I work very hard to teach our kids truth and integrity, according to our faith. We expect from them: respect, manners and charity toward others. Our kids aren't perfect and we aren't flawless in our upbringing. But after all the trials and tears, WHY would I allow the school "system" to systematically unweave the fabric of my family?

Public schools are no longer a place or order, respect, modesty and wisdom. Through curriculum and design - even through funding - they have politicized our children's education in the name of diversity. It is sad, that I, as an American, a taxpayer and a parent, cannot enjoy one of the foundational rights of my country - free education.

But, the beauty is, I have found, is the freedoms I do enjoy - CHOICE, RELIGION, SPEECH. Albeit at a large cost, I can still exercise my faith, choose to go elsewhere and speak up. That is why, for Christ's sake, I can delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Cor 12:10)

For all the explanations and justifications, I offer this from a parental perspective: "The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him." (Prov 20:7) The investment may be mortal to our checkbook today, but the rewards are eternal. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment